Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Temporary Grow Operation

In a perfect world, my garage would be tidy, and I could set up tables with some shop lights for starting seeds.  In  a perfect world.  In my actual world, the only path in the garage at this moment, is to the beer fridge.  So what's a girl to do?  Hijack the master bathroom, of course.


Desperate times call for desperate measures, folks.


I lived in a rental house, when I was in my early 20's, that had a full basement.
I had a dining room table set up down there, with shop lights on chains over it, so I could raise them as the seedlings grew.
Unfortunately, in this house, there has never been an open space to do that, so I've always waited until it was okay to start seeds outside. 
I always just set out grower's flats and do them that way, with old windows over the tops of them.
Which is fine, but I'm feeling antsy.
I wanted to start some things earlier this year.
So I dug the rack out of the cluster #$%& of a garage and hauled it into the bathroom.
I had been saving some plastic food containers with lids, and when those ran out, I switched to tray packs with six cells.
I ran to Fred's yesterday morning for some seed starting soil, and the operation was underway.
We'll see how it goes.



No heat mats, not fancy lights.
Just a rack, a window, and a squirt bottle.


I have a few cuttings in there, as well.
A couple that I had rooted in water, plus some that a friend brought me from California.
I added a few more after these pictures were taken, too.







I did direct sow some seeds in the driveway pots and in the old sink.
So far, I have cilantro, radishes, and snap peas up.
Still waiting on a couple others to show their heads.
Pretty fun, kids.




8 comments:

  1. It's always so exciting to see those lil' shoots coming up. Love your set-up. Enjoy the magic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will be fun to see what you planted. We planted some shelling peas that are just now popping up out of the soil. It is fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I have the money to have you come to Pittsburgh and decorate my house, we should plan for springtime so you can also help get my garden planted. Miss ya! ~D

    ReplyDelete
  4. In a perfect world, I would have a greenhouse! I want one so bad. I have all my mini greenhouses (aka milk jugs) outside since February for my winter sowing project and I too have a set up like you in my house. When you used shop lights did they work as well as those grow lights? I want those too but don't want to pay the price. Isn't it warm enough where you live to just plant your seeds outside? We are having a warm spell but I know we will be hit with some frost at some point. It's hard for me to believe that Northeast Ohio is all done with the snow. But as of now I am loving the sunshine and high 60's.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In a perfect world, I would have a greenhouse! I want one so bad. I have all my mini greenhouses (aka milk jugs) outside since February for my winter sowing project and I too have a set up like you in my house. When you used shop lights did they work as well as those grow lights? I want those too but don't want to pay the price. Isn't it warm enough where you live to just plant your seeds outside? We are having a warm spell but I know we will be hit with some frost at some point. It's hard for me to believe that Northeast Ohio is all done with the snow. But as of now I am loving the sunshine and high 60's.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice and helpful awriter.org information has been given in this article.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so smart to do this and so fun to watch things grow...I've done it that way, too...since we now have the tiny greenhouse, it sure is nice and so easy to start things...
    I will never forget our trip to Oregon and all the beautiful ferns just growing wild....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a very useful article. Very interesting to read this article. I would like to thank you for the efforts you had made for writing this awesome article.
    casio

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover