Sunday, January 31, 2016

Oyster Cookies

Oyster Cookies, aka, Pretty In Pink, aka, When Party Prep Goes Wrong.

Soooo, I wasn't planning on doing a separate post on these cookies, 'cause they've been done and shared a hundred times. BUT, when I accidentally flung frosting across the room, I grabbed my camera mid-cleanup.


I learned this super slick trick a few years ago for filling your pastry bags with frosting, and have been doing it ever since.
You put the frosting in the center of a strip of plastic wrap, twist it up, then drop it inside your bag.
Easy cleanup and easy to pull out any extra frosting you may have.
Easy enough, right?
Welllll, to twist it up, you grab both ends and twirl it mid-air.
You should probably make sure you have more than barely enough plastic wrap to go around your frosting glob.
Like, make sure it's wrapped at least twice before the mid-air twist action.
This is after scraping most of it off the counter.




Not only did it go shooting into the plant, it went over to the dining room table, and also spun back around to leave a giant gloppy stripe down my middle.





This poor piece was knocked right out of the pot from the force.
Ha!



I ended up having to rip the rest of the pieces out by the roots so that I could wash them off in the sink.
Poor baby.
But once I got the disaster all cleaned up, I started over and got the pastry bag all set up.
This is how it's supposed to work.
You grab those two ends and twirl it in the air.



Then you drop it into the pastry bag and pull one end through the coupler.
That's what it's called, right?
A coupler?
Spellcheck disagrees.




Then you just cut off the excess.


Add your tip, screw on the other coupler piece and you're all set.


This is what the back end looks like.


When you're done, unscrew the tip and pull the plastic wrap out from the back.
Pretty darned slick.
And this is what all the hubbub was about.





Cute little oyster cookies for Baby's 4th birthday party.
I just used some store-bought shortbread cookies, dyed some frosting pink, and used some "pearls" from the bulk bins at the grocery store.
Lather, rinse, repeat.




I think they turned out pretty cute, even after the wee setback.
Can you guess the party theme?







And the plant is no worse for wear.
They need a bath every now and again, right?



The party was today, so of course, I'll be sharing everything this week.
Until then....





4 comments:

  1. That's a cool frosting trick! (Done the right way, of course :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those cookies are so cute. I've never seen them before even if they've been done a hundred times over. I'm guessing a little mermaid theme going on here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Genius! Cleaning the coupler and tips is my least favorite part of decorating cakes and cookies. I will have to give this a try - for sure!
    Your frosting mishap is too dang funny! I've had stuff like that happen . . . and all I can do is laugh. I'll have to take photos next time :0)
    Ok, so you're killing me. Our kids must be on the same wave-length these days. My oldest daughter asked me for a mermaid themed birthday party (next weekend) . . . and I came across these oyster cookies on Pinterest. They're super cute!
    Will we get to see photos of her birthday? I need a few ideas ;0)
    I hope you're having a great start to your week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my first time i visit here. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here! keep up the good work
    oyster

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover