Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Brie, Ham, Apple, White Cheddar, and Rhubarb Chutney Paninis

Soooo, you're gonna wanna go ahead and make this asap.  That was a mouthful of a title (pun intended), but I didn't want to exclude anyone.


I've been itchin' to try some new recipes with my rhubarb from the garden, and this chutney was up first.  My sister got me the Williams Sonoma, "Cooking From The Farmer's Market", Cookbook for Christmas and I can't eat my way through it fast enough.  The chutney recipe came out of it.  It was actually meant to go with pork, but I wasn't feelin' the pork, so I brainstormed a bit with my fridge open.  And this sandwich happened.

I don't wanna toot my own horn or anything, but it was SO FRIGGIN' GOOD.  Okay, it could be partly because I was starving. And partly because melted cheese between two pieces of bread is my version of heaven.  But still.  I think I can safely say it's a winner.  Annnnnnd, I wanna throw it out there that you can totally skip the ham if you want.  I had cooked a whole one a few days prior, so we had leftovers.  I don't do that nasty packaged lunch meat, so mine would have been meat-free otherwise.

Okay, I'll stop rambling and share the chutney recipe first.  I made a few substitutions that I'll make note of.

Rhubarb Chutney
Printable Recipe

1 C brown sugar
1/2 C cider vinegar
1 Tbsp lemon zest (I substituted lime zest)
3 - 4 rhubarb stalks, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 cinnamon stick
2 Tbsp minced fresh ginger (I substituted ground to taste)
1/2 C golden raisins (I substituted a mix of diced dates and dried cranberries)
1/4 C chopped walnuts (I substituted pecans)
1/8 tsp salt

In a saucepan over low heat, cook the sugar, vinegar, and lemon zest, stirring until the sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes.   Add the rhubarb, cinnamon, and ginger.  Raise heat to medium and cook, stirring often, until the rhubarb is soft, about 15 minutes.  Remove the cinnamon stick.  Add the nuts, raisins, and salt, and cook for about 3 minutes.  Let cool.

Super duper easy, right?  It filled a mason far, so I have plenty of leftovers after our sammies.  I stuck it in the freezer and will save it for when I need an appetizer.  Brie and rhubarb chutney crostini anyone?

Here's the chutney, all brewed up and ready for spreadin':





And now, for the piece de resistance....

I used a yummy sliced deli bread.
Spread some of that rhubarb goodness all over one side .
Lay your brie out on the other side.






Now you need some ham.
Or not.
Prosciutto would be delicious, too.



Apples up on top of that.
I used Granny Smith.




And finally, more cheese.
White cheddar to be exact.
Or some other white cheese.
Asiago, Manchego, Gruyere, none of them would suck.




Now slap the lid on that bad boy, butter up the outsides, and throw it in the panini maker.
Or, you could use a pan on the stove.
Or the oven works, too.
Here's heaven:


The Kid doesn't learn from strangers.
"That one's mine."




I made a simple salad of mixed greens, candied nuts and orange vinaigrette to go with.
Here's dinner on my plate:





So flippin' good.


Please see my sidebar for the parties I link up to.


3 comments:

  1. Now that is one fancy sandwich! This looks delicious and what a yummy combo of ingredients! The husband would love this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yeah....I can tell that it is so flipping good when my stomach is doing summersaults!!! Holy he double l friend! Every morsel on that sandwich just compliments the next! I really want to make this over the weekend!! You rock!!! Toot that horn! Nicole xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm reading this at the wrong time of day... too close to dinner time and I want to eat my screen. YUM! Great job girl.

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover