Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Dragon Fruit

Remember when I was bitching and moaning a couple months ago about our ghetto Safeway closing down?  Well, we're finally back in business.  An Asian market moved in and opening day was last week.  I can't begin to tell you how excited I am to have produce within walking distance again.  Plus all kinds of other things that a person realizes they're out of at the most inconvenient moments.  Word on the street is, some people in the neighborhood aren't all that happy about it being an Asian market.  I say, food is food and produce is produce.  I can make it work.

With that being said, I bought and ate my first ever dragon fruit.  I had to Google how to cut it.  Seriously.  I didn't know if there was a giant pit, or what, so I figured better safe than sorry.  Turns out, you just cut that bad boy open.  And then the beauty emerges.  I think this may be the prettiest food I've ever seen in my life.  I yelled at everyone not to touch it until I got some pictures.

Take a gander at this:


Are you kidding me?
It's bright pink and green on the outside.
But then you cut into it and the contrast is amazing.
It's like an Oreo shake in there.
 







I scooped out the flesh with a big spoon and then cut it up into bite-size pieces.
The flavor and texture was reminiscent of a kiwi.
I couldn't stop taking pictures.









So that would have been the end of my story, except I went back a few days later and bought three more.
And guess what happened?
They weren't the same on the inside.
They were beet colored.
That deep, deep beet color that bleeds all over everything and stains your hands as you work with it.
Amazing.
The Kid squeeled and begged to put it in a smoothie.
But of course!
I wish my photos could convey the actual color.
It was seriously amazing.




Asian schmasian, I'm stoked.


Please check out my sidebar for the parties I link up to.




7 comments:

  1. You are so adventurous! If I don't know what it is, I'm scared to eat it. That is seriously beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen the inside of a dragonfruit. Wonder why the colour difference? Super cool - now I'll be on the lookout for one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I've never seen one, now I wish my ghetto Safeway would turn into an Asian Market! Seriously, that is the prettiest fruit I have ever seen. Must have been fun for the kiddo's. Happy 4th! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard of this fruit but never tried it. Was there any difference in the taste with the color difference being so great? I have to look for this- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that is a fruit just waiting for a photo shoot--gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never seen the likes of that before. Looks scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is it super fruity tasting? We make smoothie so we could try this.

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover