Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Cheesecake In A Jar

I didn't forget that I said I'd share the recipe for these.  I just hadn't made the time to sit down and type them up.  Both the chocolate and the plain cheesecake recipes came out of our local newspaper.  After eating them side by side, I couldn't decide which one I liked better.  The plain was richer, believe it or not.  As you may recall, we had goat milk caramel and strawberries for serving on top.  Beyond delicious.  And pretty darned easy for someone who had never made cheesecake before.  I'll definitely be making them again.  They were the perfect make-ahead dessert.



Here are both recipes with my notes:

Kerr Cheesecake In A Jar  
Printable Recipe

Makes 10 (4-ounce) servings
(I was unable to find 4-ounce canning jars, so I used 8-ounce widemouth jars and filled five.)

2 8-ounce packages cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 C granulated sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 C sour cream
1 pinch grated lemon zest (I'll probably leave this out next time)
2 eggs

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
In a stand mixer fitted with the wire whip attachment, beat cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla on medium-high until light and fluffy, about 6 minutes.  Beat in sour cream, followed by the lemon zest.  Add eggs, one at a time, mixing on low after each just until blended.
Pour batter into jars, stopping 1/4 inch below the rim.  Place jars in two (I only needed one for five jars) 9-by-13-inch pans and add enough warm water to the pan to come halfway up the sides of the jars.  Bake 25 minutes or until centers are almost set.  Cool completely and refrigerate at least 4 hours before serving.
Top with fresh fruit and a sprig of mint or your desired toppings.

Chocolate Kerr Cheesecake In a Jar
Printable Recipe
Makes 8 (4-ounce) servings
(I was unable to find 4-ounce canning jars, so I used 8-ounce widemouth jars and filled five.)

1 8-ounce package cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 C plus 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 C sour cream
1 small pinch grated orange zest (I'll probably leave this out next time)
3 eggs
1 C semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
In a stand mixer fitted with the wire whip attachments, beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla on medium-high until light and fluffy, about 6 minutes.  Beat in the sour cream, followed by the orange zest.  Add eggs, one at a time, mixing on low after each just until blended and smooth.
In a double boiler over barely simmering water, melt chocolate chips and allow to cool for 5 to 10 minutes.  Stir melted chocolate into batter.  Finish mixing with a hand whisk to ensure there are no lumps and the mixture has a uniform color and appearance.
Pour batter into jars, stopping 1/4 inch below the rim.  Place jars in two (I only needed one for five jars) 9-by-13-inch pans and add enough warm water to the pans to come halfway up the sides of the jars.  Bake 25 minutes or until centers are almost set.  Cool completely and refrigerate at least 4 hours before serving.
Top with crushed Oreos, salted caramel and toasted pecans, or fresh fruit.


Here they are out of the oven and cooling.







Remember I made them for Father's Day, so I loaded them all up and hauled them to my sister's house, where we proceeded to gorge ourselves on them..






Delicious.
In fact, I wish I had one right now.


Please check out my sidebar for the parties I link up to.


10 comments:

  1. did you still cook them for 25 minutes? they look awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow do these look good! I haven't made a cheesecake in ages. Might have to give these a try, I know my hubby would be happy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum!! They look delicious! I think I would like the chocolate with orange zest - I just love that combination!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll take 2 of each - yum! CHeesecake is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO SO pinning this!!! Holy cow is this brilliant!!! You totally can rock out a cheesecake bar and I have never seen that before! You amaze me lady! I LOVE THIS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look totally delectable! I'll pin and bookmark them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that these are crustless! You're right, this would be a great make ahead dessert. Oh, can't wait for my next get together. :)
    Thanks!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahhhhhh this is so awesome!!! I have been craving cheesecake lately, like the good ol' fashioned baked kind, but don't really like the idea of being left with an entire cheesecake to eat by myself. Quartering the recipe and making several jars worth would be perfect! SO happy you posted this Mindy :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bet these little guys would freeze well. What a great recipe and idea! I am going to make these for Valentine's Day dessert and have some left over to pull out on a rainy day or girl's night in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that's a FANTASTIC idea! It makes so many, I love the idea of being able to stash them away. I hope you let me know how they turned out and how they are after being frozen. Thanks for coming by!

      Delete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover