Monday, May 6, 2013

The First Week Of May In The Garden


So we are having extremely unusual weather here in Oregon. Typically, May is in the mid-60's with a few 70-degree days thrown in.  With the usual rain.  The last four days have been in the 80's and the seven day forecast shows more of the same, with some mid-70's thrown in.  It's completely bizarre.  It's like July! 

That being said, things are blooming earlier than normal and other spring flowers, that normally last throughout the month, are getting fried.  But the good news is, I'm planting annuals already.  Yay!

So here's a trip through last week's blooms:

My first clematis flower!
My mom gave me a start of this one a couple years ago and this is the first time it has bloomed for me.
It's planted at the base of the metal arbor The Dad built.
I should have waited to take pictures 'cause today it's got four flowers open.







Next to it is a potted willow that my aunt had given me a start of.





Along the south side of the house has really filled in.
Still no clematis blooming over there yet, though.











The garden center at our local grocery store had hostas for $1.99 last week, so of course I had to add a couple new ones.


This rhody was here when I bought the house in 2001.  
He was about two feet tall then.





To the left of it is a fuchsia that was in a yard when I was house hunting.
My mom swiped a branch and got it started for me.








This is how the east bed is lookin' now.



That's the same geranium I had posted last week.
I divided it last year into three pieces.
One stayed the same color purple, this one is a bit different and the third is solid white.
?????





My sedums are all happy with the warmer weather.
You can almost watch them grow.





I had to throw him in 'cause he's so darn cute.

The palm is getting its weird buds.
Now, that, is an ugly flower.
I'll get some closeups this week.


The raspberries and strawberries are both blooming.
I have them in pots.





The Jacob's Ladder is thrilled to have not been beat to heck by rain.
And I am too.




My new Burning Bush is blooming.
How cute are these flowers?!



The Kenilworth Ivy is all over the stinkin' place.
It's so cute, though, I let it go in most places.



The artichoke has gone CRAZY!
It's planted out front in the parking strip.
These pics are from last week, so today when I was out checking, there are two ready to eat!
I'm gonna fix 'em with dinner tonight.
Mmmmmm.



The Snowball Viburnum is officially in full bloom.






As is the weigela, although, it isn't puttin' on much of a show this year.
I whacked it pretty severely last fall, 'cause it had gotten way too big, so next year should be better.





I don't know why I can never remember the name of this next one.
I've written it down, pinned it, you name it.
Must be a mental block.



I got this little guy on the clearance rack at Home Depot last year, and was happy to see he made it.



All the lilies are up.
And the feverfew that appears out of nowhere.



The Sandwort (Arenaria) outside the front fence is blooming solid now.




I've had this yellow columbine for several years.
I think I might need to move him into more sun, 'cause he never really blooms good.



And finally, a bulb that I have no clue what it is.
Or where it came from.
But it's really pretty.
It only lasted a few days in the heat, though.






I think that's it for now, kids.
But with this sunshine, it won't be long before I'm out with the camera again.


Please check out my sidebar for the places I party.

 

8 comments:

  1. So many amazing blooms! I'd love to see a wider shot of some of your planting areas.
    Love hostas, but I think it's too hot to grow 'em here. I'll just enjoy yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is amazing what you have blooming! Crazy weather for sure!! The clematis is gorgeous!!! I fried mine last summer by moving it in the middle of a drought....Here is a question for you...My next door neighbor and I have been going back and forth on this. When you first buy a clematis is it best to cut it back hard so that it fills in full at the bottom??? I have cut back my honeysuckle vine and it didn't do much...what are your thoughts on this??? Beautiful snowball as well! Can't wait till mine looks this full and happy! So gorgeous my friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang woman, your garden is stunning. I love that your mom swiped a fuchsia branch for ya :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that watering can with the sedum and that bird is super adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your garden is looking gorgeous, Mindy! I've been running around like a crazy woman trying to get things done in the garden in this fantastic weather--planted potatoes, lettuce. Also hardening off flower starts to do some containers and baskets soon. I love your clematis--mine are starting to bloom now, too, and I've really started to develop a liking (lust) for sedum--I've got a bunch planted in containers and I find them very interesting in shape and color. Also love your little bird--cute! I love finding little surprises like that in unexpected spots in a garden.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just found you - love your sweet blog! Thanks for visiting me. Your garden is gorgeous. I've read through a few posts - very cute and funny!

    I am now following :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you, Karen. Your property is gorgeous. Like I said, I'd love to have that much dirt to play in!
      Thanks so much for coming by - and sticking around! :)
      BTW, you don't have an e-mail address attached to your profile and I couldn't find one on your blog. That's how I typically reply to comments, so I hope this finds its way back to you.
      Enjoy the sunny weekend!

      Delete
  7. The little bulb might be Ipheon. If you Google it, you'll see similar photos. I love all of your plants. Your garden is so cool and the fact that your mother and aunt garden too is such a gift. Your artichokes are amazing and I'm fond of Kennilwith Ivy too. It's easy to pull up and looks so cute wherever it seeds itself. I've got a bunch of it tumbling out of a vintage watering can. Your Fuchsias are way ahead of mine. I can't believe they're blooming in May. This weather is really something. I love it but I hope we get a few good soaking downpours to keep our water bills from going through the roof. :)

    Have a super weekend.

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover