Monday, November 7, 2011

Cranberry-Pear-Walnut Cake

This recipe came out of the November 2010 issue of Better Homes and Gardens.  I made it for the first time this weekend.  It was yummy.   I love cranberries - and pears - so this was right up my alley.

Somehow I messed up the caramel sauce that goes on it.  It was edible - and actually really good - but it was a little bit grainy, like the sugar didn't get completely dissolved.  I had never made caramel sauce before, so I'm not sure what happened.  Oh well. 



Here's the recipe with my notes:

Cranberry-Pear-Walnut Cake 

2 1/2 C all-purpose flour, divided
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice
3 Tbsp butter, softened
3/4 C sugar
1/4 C packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 C milk
2 C fresh cranberries
2 C pear, peeled, cored, and chopped (I didn't peel mine)
3/4 C chopped walnuts
1 recipe Caramel Sauce


Preheat oven to 350.
Grease and flour a 9x9x2-inch pan.
Combine 2 cups of the flour, the baking powder, cinnamon, and allspice; set aside.


In a large mixing bowl, beat butter on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. 
Beat in sugars.


Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each.
Add flour mixture alternately with milk, beating on low after each addition until combined.


In a bowl, toss cranberries, pears, and walnuts with remaining 1/2 cup flour.
(I wouldn't use as much flour here next time.  It seemed like a lot and I think the cake could have done without a spoonful or two less.)




Gently stir into batter.


Spoon into prepared pan.


Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
Cool 15 minutes on a wire rack.
Remove from pan; cool on rack.



Top cake with whipped cream and serve with caramel sauce.
(I skipped the whipped cream.)

Caramel Sauce  In a large saucepan, combine 1 cup packed brown sugar, 1/2 cup butter, 1/2 cup half-and-half or light cream, and 2 Tbsp light-color corn syrup.  Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar.  Boil 3 minutes.  Remove from heat; stir in 1 tsp vanilla.  Cool slightly.



I took the cake to my sister's house for the Duck's game.
 Here it is ready to cut into:






Here it is on my plate:






2 comments:

  1. you make everything taste good... I've never had cranberry pear combo... and sure would like to cover just about anything in that caramel sauce! ( I mean anything!!) Yumy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, my teenager would love that! He LOVES cranberries! I'll have to get his grandma to make it:) I did make cranberry/white choc. chip cookies for him tho. They were "slice and bake"....don't laugh, I told you I don't cook, lol.

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover