Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Chorizo Hand Pies

Who doesn't love an empanada?  These were so amazingly delicious.  The only excuse for not eating them is if you're vegetarian.  Or vegan.  For carnivores, so good.  Did I mention they're delicious?  They are.  Delicious.

I got this recipe from the May issue of the Better Homes & Gardens magazine.  I made them ahead, baked them, stuck them in the freezer, and took them with us to the Rock Farm this weekend.  To reheat them, I layed them out on a cookie sheet and stuck them in a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes.  Did I mention how good they are?

Here's the recipe with my notes:

Chorizo-Pepper Hand Pies

1 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 finely chopped red onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 yellow bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped (I used a red one)
5 oz. uncooked chorizo sausage (the ground Mexican style - not Spanish style)
1/2 C chopped tomato, fresh or canned (I used fresh)
1 tsp dried oregano, crushed
1/2 tsp ground cumin
4 oz grated queso fresco (1/4 C) (I used cotija because I already had it)
1 17.3-oz pkg. frozen puff pastry sheets (2 sheets), thawed (I used one sheet of puff pastry and one sheet of pie crust.  The pie crust was much easier to work with in this case and was just a smidge better - but both were, as I mentioned, delicious.  So use either one.)
1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
1 Tbsp milk
Taco sauce or salsa (optional) (I had some salsa verde to dunk them in, but they really didn't need anything - they were yummy on their own.)

For filling, in a large skillet heat oil over medium heat.  
Add onion, garlic, and bell pepper.  


Cook 7 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.  
Add chorizo.


Cook 5 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking up sausage and stirring occasionally.
Drain fat if necessary (I didn't need to).
Return to heat; add tomato, oregano, and cumin.  


Simmer, uncovered, 5 to 8 minutes or until liquid is evaporated.  
Season with salt and pepper.  
Let cool.
Add the cheese and stir to combine.


Preheat oven to 400.  
On a floured surface with a floured rolling pin, roll dough to 1/8-inch.
With a 3 1/2-inch round cookie cutter, cut 24 circles. 
(These would also make a really good main dish if you were to make them larger)


 
Place 1 Tbsp filling in center of each circle.
Combine beaten egg yolk with milk.
Brush edges of half the circle with egg wash.  
Fold circle over to enclose filling; pinch edges together to seal.
(I used a fork to seal the edges)
Brush tops with egg wash.
Place on an ungreased baking sheet.


Bake 12 minutes or until golden brown.


Serve with salsa or taco sauce, if desired.

Did I mention that these are delicious?  
Since the recipe only uses half a package of chorizo, I'm definitely making these for dinner with the other half in the very near future.  
Good stuff.



6 comments:

  1. I'm SO making these....they look absolutely delicious!!! You're an amazing cook! Did your kiddos like them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, this looks crazy good. I'm adding this to the ever-growing list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. uhmm........ these look yummy, but i didn't expect them not too! you little amazing cook, you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm tellin' ya, this one moves to the top of the "keeper" list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i made these and they are soo good! as my fiance is vegetarian, i used a mixture of soyrio and chopped crimini mushrooms. i served it with chimichurri. super good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you liked them! And how cool you were able to adjust the recipe to fit your fiance's dietary requirements! Thanks for letting me know!

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover